Monday, January 21, 2008

Things No One Cares About, Sports Edition

First, sports. I have two confessions regarding recent events in the NFL. I should begin by declaring my fandom for the Cowboys, my home team. Thus, my first confession is strange: I support the Patriots. And, it's not just a carry over from my illegitimate baseball affiliation. I empathize with the Patriots in the following sense: when I do something, my goal is absolute mastery. The obvious parallel with the Pats is when I play any video game. I don't enjoy it unless I win. I don't enjoy playing with others unless I absolutely dominate my opponents. Just ask Bob, or my brothers. But I'm this way with anything, my marriage (no, I don't want to master Jesse, I want to master being a husband), school, music, fantasy sports, etc. So when I see the Pats doing that in real life, I love watching it. I applaud it. Forget the stupid cheating asterisk. The Jets were horrible anyway, I have a hard time believing only the Pats were doing this, and it seems that it wasn't needed anyway. Isn't the point to win every game? Why are people so mad about this? I, for one, think it's great to watch.

My second confession regards one of the Cowboys' hated division rivals, the New York Giants. I'm not a big fan of Eli, or his southern "drawl." But even more, I can't stand Tiki Barber and that stupid smug look on his face. I refuse to watch anything he does on the Today show (my wife watches Today some mornings) and balk at the stuff he has said about his former team on the Sunday Night Football recap show on NBC. I only watch him there because that show is as close to SportsCenter as I get these days. Tiki is a little too shameless, self-promoting, and arrogant for my tastes. Plus, he's a sell out. He gave up football to be on the fourth hour of Today doing puff pieces with three women? He left the NFL for the NBC cross of Today and The View? Really? All that to say, even after the tragic loss of two weeks ago, I am glad to see the Giants do so well without Tiki. I really am. Now excuse me while I head to Mexico with my favorite Jess...

2 comments:

III said...

We tune in to watch sports hoping to see greatness. And every time we watch these Patriots take the field, we get to witness it. It's like watching Jordan or Tiger. How can you root against wanting to see greatness???

Good post...

Anonymous said...

The Pats are amazing! I really enjoy watching them have a terrible game and win by two touchdowns. It is a wonder to watch. However, they are the only team that has been fined by the league for cheating. They were warned privately and then continued to do it and then wouldn't own up to it. I don't think this makes them any less great but I don't think it ought to ever be omitted or cast aside when the are discussed from this year forward.

Ironically, as hot as the Giants are, does anyone else think this might be the first really good Super Bowl in a long time?