Monday, January 28, 2008

On Cynicism, pt. 2

I have not forgotten about the series I started a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the Christmas vacation stole my fervor for blogging about cynicism. Having begun anew with another year/semester, and a few recent events that have heightened my cynical senses, I find that the time is ripe to continue.

Today, I want to discuss the distinction between being cynical and being critical. Sometimes, criticism can be only a thin veil for cynicism. How then does one distinguish between the two? Is cynicism merely overzealous criticism? I think not. Thus, it becomes necessary to introduce at least an introductory definition of cynicism is, in order to differentiate between it and criticism. Cynicism, I believe, is at its core a perspective on reality that completely lacks hope. That is, the cynic sees what is wrong with something, but believes that there is absolutely no way in which that thing/situation can improve. Cynicism and hopelessness go hand in hand.

However, in considering the difference between cynicism and criticism, the difference is not a lack of hope. That is, criticism is not cynicism with a dash of hope. While it may be simplistic, I prefer to think of criticism as a component of one's view of reality. Being critical may or may not be negative. I may think critically about Jesus as God's Son, but that does not mean that I have no hope for the reality of Jesus as God's Son nor that I reject that idea. Criticism therefore may merely be an absence of intellectual apathy, then. It is intentional, responsible thinking about one's perception of reality. Someone with a critical mind goes to a baseball game and sees much more than the casual fan. Or he or she reads Dickens with a greater appreciation and understanding than the typical high school jock. That is, assuming said jock reads at all.

Thus, there is no inherent problem with being a critical person. However, when that criticism, that self-aware perception of reality begins to merge in a larger perspective of negativity or hopelessness, a cynic forms. So, it is possible to be critical without being cynical. I do think that the two are ontologically different. Of course, being critical can be annoying when abused or over-pursued. There is such a thing as balance. But there certainly is no harm with thinking critically about anything. As to whether or not it is possible to be cynical without being critical, I consider it highly unlikely. A cynic who is not also critical is merely a lazy puppet - eager to repeat the latest postmodern counter-trend, but not willing to think for himself.

So, criticism = good or bad. Cynicism = bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are wrong about cynicism and I don't think there is any way I can help you understand it better.

PS - That was satire, not real cynicism, so it's ok.