Thursday, November 09, 2006

Amerianity Must Be Stopped

Well, I've been feeling a bit like Jeremiah lately. This fire in my bones has been itching to be let out, what with the massive amount of political discussion currently taking place. When it reaches your fantasy basketball league, you know it's a big deal. I mean, is nothing sacred?

On a serious note, things have gotten out of hand, and I am NOT talking about the Democrats taking over. The picture above captures it perfectly. The rainbow - God's promise, His first covenant with mankind, that he would never again destroy His creation like He did in the flood. The steeple - the great symbol of Western Christendom. The American Flag - the great symbol of ... American Christendom?

American Christians vote republican, right? At least, the ones who hold to the right doctrine do. Those crazy liberals might vote democrat, but not us down here in the South. We stand for what's right. But what is right?

I'm sick of seeing voting booths in our churches. Can we vote to have voting somewhere else? I'm sure that there have been many parallels over the years to draw a line from Jesus clearing the moneychangers out of the temple to various ecclesial practices, but I'm going with voting in churches. How dare you turn my Father's house into a political arena! It's disgusting to see signs out in front of churches here in Memphis for the different politicians. It just doesn't seem right.

I'm sick of being reminded to vote yes for the gay marriage amendment. What is that? Really? What will that accomplish? Here's what really gets me, all these people, going around and passing out flyers in church, reminding their Sunday school classes to vote yes, what happens now? So gay people can't ger married, have you now performed your Christian duty? How many of these people care more about voting yes than they do about the homosexuals in our city? I maintain that voting yes has very little to do with my Christian duty, but seeking to help homosexual people discover a God who cares about their souls, I think, is pretty high on that list.

I'm sick of politics. I don't vote. I don't want to, and here's why: I put no faith in the American political system. I'll even go so far as to say that I have no faith in America as a geo-political entity. Why do we think that our political system is the primary change agent Christians have at their disposal? It's not! The primary agent of change that we have at our disposal is the power of God and He's waiting for us to ask Him to use it. Here's the irony, God wants US to be His change agents in the world. Politics won't EVER really succeed in helping the poor find jobs, or healthcare, or homes. Politics won't EVER really succeed in protecting our warped perspective of the American moral order. Politics won't EVER really succeed in taking care of widows, providing financial security for everyone, or anything else Christians expect it to succeed in doing. And that's the thing that gets me, really. Politics won't EVER succeed in seeing the Kingdom of God impose itself on our nation, state, city, or even neighborhood. Politics won't EVER succeed in bringing peace to the world.

I am firmly convinced that the ONLY thing that has even a shot at caring for the poor, the elderly, the sick; the ONLY thing that will bring true security; the ONLY thing that will see peace come into the world, is God working through His people. Now there's a proposition I can support. I just hope we don't have to put it to a vote first. I'm not sure it would pass.

9 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Nick! Didn't know I kept up w/ your blog, huh? Well, I do, and I feel compelled to comment on today's post. Although I agree that politics is never going to "change the world" and that the Lord has the only real power and authority to do such, I have to say I am a little disappointed in the "no voting" stance. Just think if every Christian in our country felt like they had no power, and didn't vote. Where would we be? The "worldliness" of the world would truly take over, and there's no telling how we as Christians would have to live. Win or lose, Republican or Democrat, I am proud of the fact that I have a voice, and though it may not be the majority's voice, I have to speak up! And to say that votes don't count, I believe is a lie from the enemy to get us to think that we are powerless. When the reality is, our vote counts now more than ever. With so many "social" issues (ie: gay marriage) being brought to a vote, elections being so close it takes 2 days to get a final result, how can we say each vote doesn't count?

I am not saying that I am not disillusioned by the state in which our polital leaders behave and operate. And I am certainly not saying that we should trust everything they say. But, we must take a stand, one way or another. I wish that politics was the way to save individuals, but it's not. It never has been, and it never will be. So, I agree that we as Christians, MUST work to take care of those around us. And, yes , I agree that whether or not someone can marry someone else is irrelevant when it comes to where they will spend eternity, regardless. But I will always believe, that good or bad, we have to vote! How else will ANY kind of change happen? I think about all the men and women who have given their lives, so I can have a voice. And I think about all the people who stood up for their own right to vote. And I think about all the other countries in the world, where the citizens are told how to vote, or worse, have NO voice at all! Voting is not a chore. It's not a hinderance that we should have the luxury of deciding whether or not we want to do it. It's a liberty, bought and paid for! It's a privaledge.

And now I am stepping down off my soap box! Can't wait to see you and Jesse at Thanksgiving!! Love you both!

III said...

PREACH, PRECHUH!!!

You speak like a true disciple of Monte ... errrr, Christ. Is there a difference? ;-)

No, seriously. I liked your diatribe. Churches have forgotten their mandate. And I have enjoyed seeing what my limited awareness allows. Say what you will about what needs to change in Churches of Christ. But what doesn't is the centrality of Scripture. And the churches I am aware of aren't sucked into this Evangelical Political Agenda. I hope Churches of Christ everywhere continue to stand out as different (e.g. "Holy") from the mainline evangelical churches regarding politics.

Now, I'd say that the folks I know still mostly voted Republican. But they recognize that they weren't voting for Jesus, but what they perceived to be the lesser of the two evils, or power-mongerers.

Keep looking to affect change the wya Jesus would, Nick.

Chad Billy-Steve Pknicholson said...

Right on, iii. I'm not saying that voting is wrong, I just choose not to for personal reasons.

Anonymous said...

my verification word is 'beibwi'..how cool is that

Unknown said...

Gimme a Y.... Gimme an O....Gimme a D...ER

YODER
YODER
YODER!!!

Chad Billy-Steve Pknicholson said...

And to think, I didn't really like Mere Christianity (a supposed Yoder tribute)

Jesse Faris said...

You didn't really like Mere Christianity? Sometimes I wonder if I even know you at all...

;)

Chad Billy-Steve Pknicholson said...

My dear, you are right. I apologize. I meant Mere Discipleship by Lee Camp. Not Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, which I love. I'm a Christian, for crying out loud, so of course I love Lewis. I mean Jesus.

Unknown said...

You sound like a restorationist :)