Thursday, November 08, 2007

Ode to Our Owens

Not too long ago, Brooke said that one of the great things that happened in the joining of Nick and Jesse was the inclusion of Owens. I couldn't agree more. So, I decided to do something only slightly lame and blog about my love for Owens. The first thing that comes to my mind is how bad it stinks when Owens farts. That's most because he just farted and my eyes are watering. To be inappropriately honest, when he drops a bomb, I often have to leave the room. When I am close enough to him and I "feel a breeze," I will return the favor. That's right, I fart at my dog. Why do I love this? I don't know. I'm just a kid, I suppose. The best part of it is that whenever I do, he ALWAYS gets me back. I'm not kidding either. He'll get up when I'm on the couch and stretch. He often lets 'em rip when he does, and it's always right at me. Ruthless. I love it. Something else that I love about Owens is how much he sleeps. He sleeps a lot. I envy him, but he deserves it. Something Jess and I recently discovered is that Owens is actually THE pick of the litter. None of his brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. won more races than he did. Not that we condone the inbreeding of greyhounds or their use for profit, but my boy can run. D's Echo was his racing name, and you can check out his stats here. So now I am super-proud of him for being a successful racer. You can even see his individual races. In the last race, he led early but pulled up late. That probably explains his ridiculous limp that looks more like a bunny hop. He's 8 now, which is kind of old, and he does act like an old man most of the time. But, when we play, he's wild at heart. I trained him to be that way. Jesse is a wonderful caretaker, but he's much more manly now that he has me to show him how. He's vicious when we wrestle for his blanket, chew toys, stuffed animals, etc. He barks like a man more than yelps like a woman now, too. On Sundays, he is SUPER excited when we come home from church. As soon as he has smelled where we've been, he runs back to the Man Room and jumps up on the Man Couch, because he knows it is time for the men to watch football. So, all this to say that I love our dog. He's the best.

Owen's famous first picture


Owens has lain down outside maybe twice. It's funny because I don't think he knows what to do once he does.


When he sleeps, Owens gets possessed. We joke about spoofing The Omen with a movie about our dog, The Owens. Sometimes he runs in his sleep while laying down. So, his legs are stretched out beside his body, and his little feet just go spastic. Also, he barks in his sleep.


The happy family at Halloween. What a great smile!


That's no ghost in the window, that's Owens' eyes. He watched us leave out that window until he can't see us anymore.


We recently took Owens to the beach.


He liked it.

1 comment:

Jonathan Storment said...

Nick, it sounds like you have a good dog. Leslie and I have a Golden Retrieved named Moses who passes gas all the time (at least that's what I tell Leslie) and is just generally awesome, but our dog hasn't won enough races to have their own webpage.