Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tickle, Tickle... Santa Claus

If you recognize the title of this blog, then you know what this entry is about: the uber-important Christmas Carol!

First of all, if you live in Memphis and own a stereo, you ought to be listening to WRVR for the rest of the month. All holiday songs, all the time. Even that scary seductress Delilah is playing them. I almost put a picture of her on here, but I decided it was too scary.

Second, as I listened to the radio in the car yesterday, it hit me that some Christmas songs are really great to hear, and some are just awful. For example, the Backstreet Boys would be better off putting their abilities towards a less critical holiday, like Flag Day. A Backstreet Boys Flag Day song is something I can handle, not to mention the necessary Fag Day joke. On the other hand, N'Sync is okay for me. Hey, I'll even admit to enjoying some of Clay Aiken's voice (as opposed to just Clay Aiken). Then there's the ~classic "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Hate it. The worst part of that song doubles as the title of this blog. On the other hand, I have a soft spot for "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer." And I hate country music, so go figure. Also, surprisingly not annoying is the Chipmunks Christmas song (the first time). Then again, two of the greatest song writers ever, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, did not come through as usual with Lennon's "Happy Christmas" (the screaming children have got to go) and McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" (too simple for a five year old). I also maintain that song about how the guy gave his heart away last Christmas is not a happy song and no one should ever want to listen to that song over the Holidays.

Of course, when I told Jesse about this, she vehemently disagreed with me, so I guess it's a little subjective. So then, two questions:

1. What Christmas song is your absolute favorite? (Mine is Bing Crosby, "White Christmas")

2. What Christmas song makes you most want to kill yourself?
(see above)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.) "Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley, if only because everybody who hears the song has to sing along in their worst Elvis-impersonation voice.

2.) "Angels We Have Heard on High" -- I know it's Biblical & all, but that incessant "Glooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, orr-orr-orr-orr-orr, orr-orr-orr-orr-orr, orr-orr-orr-orr-orrrrr-eeee-a!" chant gets OLD the second time you hear it. And they repeat it at least 10 times. Awful!

Anonymous said...

1. "Everybody to the Limit" by Strongbad. I understand he does not sing about Christmas, but i listen to it year 'round, so therefore if i am listening to it around December then it becomes a Christmas song.

2. "nick singing in the shower" enough said.

Anonymous said...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/homester.html

in case you are interested

Unknown said...

1. Favorite Christmas song: it rotates every year. This year, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" has given me goosebumps. Usually, I love "Greensleaves/What Child Is This?" as well as "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and the always no. 1 fave "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." In the secular vein, I absolutely love 95% of any Christmas songs that the Carpenters do, first and foremost probably being their version of "Sleigh Ride."

2. "Santa Baby" makes me want to vomit. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Jesse Faris said...

First, I would like to alert the public that my husband has never before in his life heard "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas." I don't believe he can fairly judge annoying songs without having heard this one.

That being said,

1. Absolute favorite: "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and "Silent Night"

2. "I'm Gettin Nuttin' For Christmas" (or "Somebody Snitched on Me")

angie c said...

I love "Let it Snow"!

Any Elvis Christmas song makes me want to beat someone up. Preferably Elvis.