Sunday, December 24, 2006

Odd Job

Well, another lazy Sunday and I'm ready for Christmas. I keep thinking of these great blog subjects, and then promptly forgetting them. So instead, I'll post about some jobs that I bet are fun to have:

sporting event cameraperson
sports journalist
ESPN anchor
department store Santa or elf
ice cream man
Vince Young
movie trailer announcer voice guy
cartoon artist

I mean really, guys get paid to write about fantasy sports. How sad is that and how much do I wish I was one of those guys? And how great would it be to give ice cream to kids on warm Summer days? I would be the singing kind of ice cream man but not the Van Halen kind. And don't even get me on movie trailer announcer guy. That may be the coolest job in the world.

Which reminds me, I've been thinking lately about dream jobs. I wonder if we lie to ourselves when we say we can't do what we want to do. For example, I heard this guy talking the other day about how he's not enjoying his job and he's going through his mid-life crisis, but at least he has a job so he can't really complain about being miserable, etc. We've all heard that, right? My question is, why not? If you are miserable, shouldn't you be doing something else?

There's a tension here of course. The majority of the world does not have the ability to choose what they do for a living. And, in our country, we are more richly blessed than anyone deserves. So I can understand not wanting to feel some sense of empowerment because of the country in which we live. At the same time, why is it wrong to work at a job that you enjoy? Is it bad to do what you want to do in life? Or more than that, did God create us to do certain things? Is a job more than just an income?

This raises some interesting issues. For one, there's the issue of fulfillment. Should a job be a fulfilling thing? There's also the issue of contentment. Can or should we be content with our lives regardless of job? If your job totally sucks, should you just rise above it and be content and not try and change it? And what about purpose? I am familiar with the idea of people who aren't "in ministry" working a job in order to support the church financially. Is the the only purpose to the jobs people work who aren't paid ministers? Finally, what about identity. If you aren't defined by what you do, but who you are (which I believe) how does that affect one's profession?

4 comments:

angie c said...

Nice Van Halen reference. Add musician to my list. Getting paid to do any of those would be great.

Quit asking so many questions.
k

Unknown said...

Fulfilment is a funny thing. I see some of the happiest people at the hospital who deliver food to rooms, and some of the angriest doctors. What makes a job fulfilling, is it fun is it important? My father has worked with steel for 30 years my grandfather a painter for close to 60. My father is ok with his job and I think my grandfather actually liked his. I just wonder what makes it fulfilling?

III said...

I wanted to be a sports writer when I graduated from high school. I'm glad I didn't go that route. The pay sucks, and most sports writers end up jaded & hating who and what they cover. The great thing about sports is that we love it. What if you started to hate it & you didn't get paid much for it?

There are reasons to be miserable doing any job in the world. Even preaching, if you've heard the war stories. I'm thankful for that perspective, as well as being able to do my dream job despite the negative's.

James T Wood said...

Go Seahawks!