Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mastering Memphis, steps four and following

Keeping a blog is an interesting process.  You choose to keep one and no one else really makes you.  But, if you don't maintain it regularly, it can become a source of guilt, stress or frustration.  Of course, if you do maintain it, the same can be true...  all because of something you choose to do.  Beyond that, you are choosing to publish words that other people read except, in most cases, you have no idea what they think about it.

Take my last post, for example.  Not only did I use the antiquated phrase, "dear reader," I also thought it was clever to refer to Jesse as "said female" as if there were some kind of mystery about who she was.  Sorry about that.


The truth is, it's difficult to fit Jesse into one moment or one step in the process of making Memphis home.  That's because it wasn't just one step among others - it's been every step since the day I met her.   Every step since that day has included her, in one way or another.  From helping her walk Owens down Ellsworth on Sunday mornings to her helping me edit last minute bibliographies, I found a friend who quickly became God's richest blessing in my life.  Jesse is technicolor to my black-and-white - my life would be so much less rich and full without her in it.

The first time I wrote nice things about Jesse on my blog, people thought I was proposing.  This time, as then, I don't have a particular reason except that I'm in love and I want to express it publicly in words.

When I moved here, I didn't like it at all.  The only people I saw every day were Biff and McFly and a perfect day included me being anywhere but Memphis.  Now, the perfect day includes me being anywhere in Memphis with Jesse.  I can't imagine life without her, and thankfully, I don't have to.

No comments: