Monday, September 28, 2009

Day #3


It seems natural that idealism be rejected with what we call "a healthy dose of reality." As if it isn't healthy to be an idealist.

On the other hand, is it really healthy to stop dreaming? Or what is the significance of a life pursued without a vision?

Yes, dreamers have been burned by moving to close to the sun. But they've also flown!

Perhaps then there is a way to dream responsibly. Or, to borrow from a competitor's ad slogan, maybe there is a life with just the right amount of dreamability. I believe there is.

So maybe the friction between the ideas that 1) anger never helps and 2) I can't just not be angry will produce a spark to light the way forward.

Regarding the first point, I've tried to make my point. Even Rob Bell thinks anger is only good if you let it produce something more redemptive (at which point the anger goes away). Ah, yes. But what if we can skip the stage where we get angry and then motivated to do something redemptive? What if we replace anger with something better, like love? Still too idealistic? Fair enough. I'm going to give it my best shot and see if I can't produce a coherent theology for anger never helping.

Tomorrow.

On a much more personal note, Jesse and I have officially begun a journey we started years ago. I order both of you who read this blog to check out the last two posts so that you can see what is going on with me.

2 comments:

III said...

I'm real impressed with the adoption thing. How courageous.

I don't know, Nick. I'm not sure if this is a matter of idealism vs. reality. And I have so much to say: I feel like it'd come out easier over a cup of coffee or a telephone call or something. Can't you get away with calling me & calling it "work" like Bob did when he was working as a recruiter for HUGSR? Sorry, I just don't have time to respond fully.

Nick Faris said...

Honestly, Phil, just send me an email or something. Nothing personal, it's just this particular topic is more of a monologue for me and less of a dialogue. I don't really want to talk about it. Sorry, and please don't be angry. :)