Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gospel e-Meeting (first night)

Well, this night can't last forever. I think that's a line in at least 50 songs. 75 if you include other languages. Este noche no burrito siempre. I can't remember the spanish word for last. Lo siento.

So where do we start with a gospel presentation if not condemnation and judgment?

If it's not clear already, I do not think that we should start with condemnation and judgment. Some of you are concerned if we will ever hear c/j at all. The answer to that is affirmative. Some of you are hoping it won't ever make it in. You will be disappointed. Actually, I made this whole paragraph up. No one is thinking that.

To answer the above question, let me give a few suggestions:

- We do have to start somewhere. If we're not intentional about where we start, though, the presentation suffers significantly.

- Considering my agreements with the thinking behind narrative theology, I think we can start our gospel story with the start of the story. Why not start with creation? Paul seems to think that creation implies a Creator, as do the Psalms. I have a hard time thinking that it would be negative to start with, "In the beginning..."

Of course, it doesn't take long for the story to deteriorate. If presenting the Gospel is in some way getting someone to buy into a different story other than the one they are creating for their own self (and I think it is), then we have to be able to explain the reason for buying into this different story. As such, I believe that a fundamental characteristic of the story of what God is doing and has done in the world (the Gospel) is making things right again. Thus our gospel presentation becomes a matter of convincing someone that something in the world is not right.

I am of the persuasion that convincing someone that everything in the world is not right is pretty easy.


So to recap, here is where I would probably start:

In the beginning, God created...

Shortly thereafter, something happened that caused things to go awry and now God is working to redeem creation.

2 comments:

Justin P. Lewis said...

Does the evangelist take up this much time deliberating on where to start in a real Gospel Meeting? Or is this part of the E?

James T Wood said...

The writer of the Gospel of John would probably agree with you.

I think I might agree with you too . . . wow, that was hard to say :P