Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Moltmann

Jurgen Multmann thinks that rebaptism is unnecessary but that baptism is (with a possibility for immersion??) - a very startling connection between us close-mindeds and the gone-too-fars, so thought me. He also thinks that we should emphasize the feminine qualities of the Holy Spirit, because (it, he, she) gives birth to us. This would make the Trinity a more perfect community, consisting of the Father, the Mother, and the Son. Also, ruach in Hebrew is feminine and pneuma in Greek is neuter. It is not until you get to the Latin translations that it is definitive masculine. This argument, of course, is crazy. At the least, there are many masculine references to the Holy Spirit in the Greek (John 16, esp. v.7ff is one) New Testament. And even James Barr (Greg's favorite liberal) would tell you to pay more attention to sentences rather than to words. Basically, the Holy Spirit is masculine. But hey, what's wrong with having typical "feminine" qualities or even practices (or am I reading myself into this)? I for one, am pleased to be born of the Spirit. Even if He is not a "she."

Really, I just wanted to post something and that's the last thing I read. Besides Multmann's The Source of Life, I'm also looking at a Pinnock's book on the Holy Spirit (open theistic pneumatology could be interesting), Bruner's book on the HS (Oster fav), a couple works of James Barr so Greg will respect me, Brueggeman's The Land, a few repeats on open theism, and Fretheim's seminal work, The Suffering of God. Summer reading rocks. Also, Life of Pi, which my wife read first, was pretty good. I recommend reading it with a partner because talking about it with someone else is necessary. Don't read it by yourself.

We're off to Arkansas to spend the weekend with my family. I shall return Beckham's favorite uncle in spite of my other brother's unfair advantage of living in the same city.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus loves me, I can see...

'Cause his picture looks like me...

Pale white skin, blond hair, blue eyes...

It should come as no surprise.

Yes, Jesus loves me...

Yes, Jesus loves me...

Yes, Jesus loves me...

'Cause I look just like him!

Anonymous said...

no one made you live in Memphis. I'll be nice though and say your popular uncle name is more entertaining than a rice producer.

Anonymous said...

Moltmann, not Multmann.

Do you ever play Halo?

Whatever the gender of the Holy Spirit in the language, he/she is definitely not an it. The Holy Spirit is a person. I'm always a big fan of saying that God transcends our categories for gender anyway. After all, aren't man and woman both made in the image of God? Wouldn't that require God to embody both masculinity and femininity? I use masculine reference because it is the dominant tradition of the Scriptures and I am also a male myself...and I'll leave it to you to decide which one is a more important reason.

Charles

Chad Billy-Steve Pknicholson said...

Halo? What is that? I'm actually surprised someone is asking me that question.

I agree with you on the HS stuff. I'm just thinking promoting the HS as the divine mother is a step farther than I am willing to go. I should have been more clear; I do think the HS embodies some of the typical "feminine" qualities, including birthing. I certainly am not pushing a patriarchal model. Ultimately, it IS a matter of personhood, and the masculine is the chosen form.