Friday, October 23, 2009

Last Day

I started blogging about anger because I couldn't think of anything else to write about and it's my constant companion at work. It seemed prudent to write out my thoughts on this strange and powerful emotion. As I was attempting to map out my feelings about the feeling, I really wasn't looking much for feedback as much as finding my way to a conclusion on the matter.

Well, I should have known better if iii was involved. iii is a good friend and blog associate and impulsive commenter! He also turned out to be a good dia-blog-er on the matter. His perspective has given me a lot to think about and has changed my thoughts on anger. But not so fast my friend! Before iii starts claiming total victory, I still think anger never helps. I just think I need to tweak that thought.

Put simply, I think there is one important distinction that gives me a way out. That distinction is the one between feeling and expression. If we allow a distinction between the feeling of anger and the expression of it, then we can both be right.

The feeling of anger might sometimes help. Anger at acts of injustice or unrighteousness may provide the impulse needed to act justly or pursue righteousness. However, the expression of anger, I still maintain never helps. I'm going to hold to the ideal on that point. I can't see a reason, in terms of practicality, healthiness, or spirituality, that would render the expression of anger helpful. Thoughts? Anyone? iii?

1 comment:

III said...

Nice comment baiting. Of course, I'd have probably commented anyway. Because I'm a serial commenter.

But, I can find no wrong in your revised hypothesis. Well done!