Monday, April 20, 2009

Why Don't You Face It...

you're addicted to God? Is it possible to be addicted to God? How do we define addiction? Are all addictions by nature unhealthy?


Those who read this blog know me, so it's redundant for me to point out that I like to think. I have no answers on this one, and quite frankly, it's way out there and not well written (unedited stream of consciousness never is), but I've thought about as much as I can about this idea of God addiction without getting any farther than what you read here. I welcome outside thoughts. Let's converse, dear readers.


I want to be addicted to God. It's an interesting idea, to be sure. Maybe even I am addicted to the idea of being addicted to God. Think about it. What is there was nothing you wouldn't sell to get a more God in your life? What if you had a constant "jonesing" for God? Would it not be awesome if any time you didn't have God, you wished you did?

Of course, I must be sensitive to those who have struggled, or are close to someone who has struggled, with addiction.

There does seem to be something, though, about the human nature, some flaw in us, that allows us to become so radically unbalanced in favor of one thing that it negatively affects all other aspects of our life. Wouldn't it be nice if we could find some way to manipulate our flaw for good?

There are physical, emotional, spiritual, relational consequences to addictive behavior.

I guess I just wish that we could find some way to re/un-twist our ability to become unbalanced in favor of The One good thing that can only affect every aspect our lives positively. That would be nice.

1 comment:

Colby said...

My immediate reaction to this thought was to imagine a single dad who spends all his time in prayer, at church, reading the bible, etc., and lets his children starve.

On the other hand, it would sure make things easier if I automatically wanted to do the right, Godly thing all the time. I'm sure I could undergo some hypnotherapy or electro-convulsive therapy to turn my mind this way, but that kind of seems like cheating.

I was listening to a radio story the other day about religious super-people (for lack of a better term) who typically spent 3 hours or more each day in meditation. A neuroscientist explained how they trained their minds and physically built a scaffold of neurons that turned them into fine-tuned empathic machines. They had, through lots of time and work, actually rewired their brains to make them kinder, more Godly people. Interesting stuff.